Rover SD1 3500cc Twin Plenum Vitesse - Rear Seam & Sill Resto - 2010
At the end of 2010, even more bodywork repairs to D330ENH. This time it's the rear seam and simply loads of surrounding metal that has suffered the ravages of time, and, who knows, too much high speed towing when attending Vintage Model Airplane Competitions since 1993/4? In addition, a crushed rear O/S sill caused by carelessly reversing off a tall kerb such that when the wheel dropped, the suspension compressed and buckled/holed the bottom edge.
Two front suspension turret repairs were also needed along with some lower door panel corrosion. Also this time around, the Tow Bar is gonna be ditched. Does it NEVER end?
To start off, this is the full photo-montage of the rear seam problem and repair.
Click any Image to Enlarge
This car was my introduction to the Rover SD1 in '93 and I soon undertook its first restoration. I spent the intervening 17 years trying to learn everything I could about the car, particularly the electronic fuel injection system and the cars many other technicalities.
Having written essays about the car for magazines and forums over the years I decided to bring them together along with all the new technical material now featured on this website here and the full story of that original restoration during my first full year of ownership here.
A second major restoration took place in 2004 with various minor blemish resto's in between times. The 2009 work here was due to paint finish failure on bonnet and roof plus a few scabs dealt with at the same time.
This 2010 restoration was due to serious corrosion along the whole of the rear seam, Mostly visible internally, some rear O/S sill damage, front suspension turrets and both front doors variously corroded. As ever, the work was carried out by Phil Smith.
Click here for next page.