Rover SD1 3500cc Twin Plenum Vitesse - Bonnet and Roof Resto 09
Its April '09 and time for some paintwork tidying up on my Rover SD1 3500cc Twin Plenum Vitesse. The Bonnet and Roof paintwork went off bigtime and needs re-polishing or re-painting. Scabs appeared on the roof corners above the windscreen, another on the front of the bonnet, a small bubble was growing on the tailgateO/S upper flange and the N/S "B" Post is distressed. Some work may also be needed needed at the front of the O/S rear arch and along the bottom of the driver's door. During the '08 MOT the tester reported O/S front cill as possibly being "a bit soft". So that needs investigation. As far as I can tell, thats it!
So off to the paint shop, with the eybrows and some other bits already removed, the work gets underway. Not by me, I hasten to add. Bodywork black arts are completely beyond me.
Click any Image to Enlarge
This car was my introduction to the Rover SD1 in '93 and I soon undertook its first restoration. I spent the intervening 16 years trying to learn everything I could about the car, particularly the electronic fuel injection system and its many other technicalities.
Having written essays about the car for magazines and forums over the years I decided to bring them together along with all the new technical material now featured on this website here and the full story of that original restoration during my first full year of ownership here.
A second major restoration took place in '04 with various minor blemish resto's in between times. The current work is due to paint finish failure on bonnet and roof plus the few scabs shown above taken in hand at the same time.
Click here for next page.